Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Daylene

I just had a visit here at work from my friend Daylene. It took a long time for me to get to know her, but once I did, I couldn’t believe what I’d been missing out on for so long – she’s just so genuine and fun. When we were going through our fertility issues I leaned on her many times, as she had been there before and always had good advice to give. Well, she just came up with a big gift bag, wished us well on the baby’s arrival, asked to be included on the list of phone calls/announcements, gave me the “you can do this” labour pep talk, etc. She’s just so wonderful. Inside the gift bag was a little yellow sleeper with orange duckies on it (and I am loving anything with orange in it these days – I can just picture it on a little redhead), and a set of safari themed stuffed animals – an elephant, lion and cheetah (not the most common of the safari animals, but probably Chad’s favourite, so that’s pretty cool, too.) This because she remembered that I mentioned months ago that our bedding set has the same animals on it. How thoughtful is that? It has been really humbling to have people like Daylene in our lives, people who go out of their way to be considerate and kind and who make this experience even better for us, with no expectations in return. It makes me want to go out of my way to find some way to return the favour to her and pass the happiness back, or at least to go out and spread the goodwill to someone else. I’m feeling very lucky today to know Daylene. Junior(ette) already has some good friends in this world, and I can't wait for them to meet.

0 comments: