Friday, July 07, 2006

Learning

The other day at the store, I ventured into the baby section for the first time in a long time. I was in need of new baby nail clippers (is it normal for them to only last a year before they're totally dull?) It wouldn't really have occurred to me to get this except that I walked right past it - a little toddler plate, spoon and fork set (and yes, the tines on the fork curl back so he can't poke his eye out). Up til now we have been putting chunks of food directly on his high chair tray. Seeing the plate set made me think it's high time we treated Liam like a civilized human being and serve him a normal plate of food. Well, almost normal; this plate comes with a suction cup to keep it from being flung off the high chair, and also a removeable high rim to make scooping up the food a little easier. Although Liam has taken an interest in holding the spoon when we have fed him lately, he normally just lets the yogurt or whatever drip off of it, so my expectations were low. I was thrilled then to see that he took to the new gear right away, scooping up spoonfuls of peas'n'carrots and getting them into his mouth no problem. Of course, tonight he was back to holding the spoon in one hand while shovelling food into his mouth with the other. We still have a long road ahead of us. (Doesn't he look like he is posing for me in that first photo? Imagine that! Liam, cooperating for a photo!!)PS - for anyone who is so inclined - Shabby Princess is having a fabulous sale, this weekend only. I currently have 8 kits in my cart (pretty much everything she has without pink in it) and am trying to weed that down. Thought some of you new junkies might also want to stock up. :)

2 comments:

megan said...

There she goes, pushing again. A junkie always loves company.

Anonymous said...

Quick question - we bought that same plate (it's a Gerber one, right?) and I was wondering if you have trouble with it. The lip comes off of ours, the suction part doesn't stay on the table OR the plate, etc.

Are you haveing better luck