Friday, July 21, 2006

Night terror

We made it through the shots yesterday – Liam cried, but not as much as last time – and all seemed well as he went to bed. Then around 11 p.m. he woke up screaming. Realizing it was not the kind of cry that sounded like he could roll over and go back to sleep, I went and picked him up and sat in the rocker with him. Normally when I do this he nuzzles right in and is snoozing on my shoulder in no time. Last night, he continued screaming, even louder than before. After some time of this, I realized something must be wrong, and turned on the lights to get a better look at him. By this point I was scared to death, thinking maybe his arms (where he got the shots) were starting to liquefy from the inside out. The lights came up, and I realized he wasn’t even truly awake; he was screaming with his eyes closed. I believe we’ve had our first night terror experience. It took some work to finally wake him up; I took him downstairs and got him a glass of milk, and he slowly calmed down. He was quite happy to go back to bed once the tears stopped. Our episode ended peacefully, but I was still relieved to hear him start singing in his crib at the crack of dawn this morning. Because for a long time last night, the thought that the nurse had accidentally injected him with some sort of poison absolutely did cross my mind.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Sounds like Night Terrors to me.............or maybe (hopefully) he was just bothered by the shots?? Either way "this too shall pass!" Noah had Night Terrors BAD.

Anonymous said...

I will continue to protest because it really IS fun for me. Keep bringing the camera and I will gladly keep chasing after Liam!

Have a great week. I'm sure Dana is counting down the hours until your arrival so be sure to stick to Chad's timeline. ;)

Anonymous said...

oops - there it is :)