Sunday, July 23, 2006

Summer Night

On Friday we headed up to London right after work for the annual Summer Night showdown. I think this is the fourth year that the men have gone head to head in an all-out grudge match. For weeks beforehand there is more trash talk than you can imagine, but the finishing order does not change much from year to year.

This year I think I have finally learned my lesson: toting both a toddler and a camera along to these sorts of things is just a bad idea. I don't get enough time with the camera to take decent photos, and I don't get enough time with Liam to keep him out of trouble, which means that Aunty Jenn spends half her night chasing after him for me which is not all that much fun for her either (she protests when I say that but I know it's at least partially true. :) ) There's also the fact that this race starts after 7 p.m. and let's face it, by then Liam is normally almost in bed. The after party is at the Barking Frog and trying to manoeuvre a cranky toddler and stroller through the very crowded patio of a bar on a Friday night - well, let's just reiterate that I have learned my lesson.

Going back to the bit about not devoting enough time to the camera - this is pretty much the best shot I got. I had no idea where our group was starting so as the crowd surged past me, I fired off ten shots to try to get as many of them in it as possible. That's Chad in the red shirt and Cory in the blue. All my finishing photos are dark and blurry. Next time I will remember to check my ISO.
Liam was still too young for the kiddy trot this year, but give him something to drink with a straw, and he is generally pretty happy.

We're getting packed up today, and heading out in the morning. This is a hydro-free vacation, so don't expect any updates while we are on the road!!

2 comments:

megan said...

In my world, the words Hydro-free and vacation can never be used in the same sentence. Have fun guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey - were did my comment go!?

It was just more words of protest because I really do love chasing Liam around. Keep bringing your camera and we can both be happy doing what we enjoy!

Have a great week! I'm sure Dana is counting down the hours until you get there with her grandson so be sure to stick to Chad's schedule. ;)