Monday, July 10, 2006

Welcome to the asylum

One of the emerging facets of Liam's personality, now that he is a little less shy, is that when he gets overtired, he turns into a crazy man, though in a fun way. We first noticed this several months ago when he was up late after his birthday party, and since then he has put on several shows, knowing that he is the centre of attention and hamming it up when his tiredness makes him lose all inhibitions. It is funny because it is so unexpected; most of the world knows him as being painfully shy.

This happened again yesterday at the annual Roberts family reunion. When we first arrived in the early afternoon, Liam was a little unsure of his extended family. By the end of the day (a swim, several juice boxes and much overstimulation later) he was throwing himself into Aunty Jenn's arms for hugs and kisses (which was so cute I could hardly stand it) and treating poor little Shane, curled up in a ball on the floor after a long hot day out in the sun, like his own personal sumo wrestling partner. Thank goodness the dinky cars were enough to distract him away before he did Shane some damage. By the way, I should mention here that before buying Liam the shirt he wore to the reunion, I saw this skirt in the window at American Eagle: I instantly fell in love with it, but I have been making a concerted effort to dress more my age lately. American Eagle is not the place for me anymore - everyone else in there is half my age, and also half my size. I was temporarily able to resist, but when I stumbled across the very similar shirt at Children's Place ten minutes later, I had to get my patchwork fix. Funny how life works out like that.

3 comments:

megan said...

I don't know, I think you can pull it off, so long as it goes past mid thigh. (But then look how I dress at times, perhaps I am not the best judge :))

Dawn said...

I just love madras patchwork!!! I say go for it!!!!!!!!!!! I have a halter top tucked away somewhere.......far far away, that looks like the identical patchwork pattern!!!!!!!! Now I won't dig out the halter top for you, but pair the skirt with a basic white tee or tank and I'd say you have yourself a trendy little outfit!

Anonymous said...

I had sooo much fun with Liam. Are you guys coming up on Friday so I can have some more play time??