Friday, August 18, 2006

Hello again, hello

So... exam is over. Life is back to normal. Don't get me started on the exam; after specifically stating that three chapters would not be included on it - at the last minute - which required late-night revision by me of the formula sheets we were allowed to take in - two of those three chapters were covered. Needless to say, I have major issues with this professor, and the teaching evaluation I am set to fill out will show it.

So why am I driving myself crazy by being in school?... well, I am 2 courses away from done. I have taken either 20 or 22 courses to date (can't remember) so I'm far too close to call it quits now. I estimate that so far this degree has cost about $17,000, all of which has been picked up by my employer. I worry that if I were to walk away now, even with the intent of getting back to it in a few years, I would (a) never get around to it and (b) not have my remaining courses paid for. At this point I think plowing through and finishing is the only solution. I am taking an on-campus course this fall, which I only intend to go to in person very occasionally (if there are marks for participation I may be out of luck); and then the capstone course for the degree is being offered next summer, so I will wrap things up then. I guess I get a nice break over the winter!

The downside to being in school as an adult with a job and a family as opposed to as a 17-year-old is that something always interferes with your plans. Such as your job or your family. We were out of town for three days last weekend, during which time Liam had some sort of belly bug bothering him, and by the time we got home on Sunday night I was freaking out thinking of the work I had to do to prep for the exam; and he was freaking out, I think, because he could sense that I was not focusing on him. He was up almost til midnight on Sunday and also had trouble settling to sleep for the remainder of the week. This is extremely uncommon for him. Last night he went quietly to bed; I think he feeds off how I am feeling, and last night was one big sigh of relief for both of us. Lessons have been learned and next term I will start my exam prep much earlier (yeah, yeah... that's what I always say).

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the exam is over and things are getting back to normal.