Wednesday, September 27, 2006

More on number two

Number Two and I went to see Dr. Kate today. The good news: first, there was a strong heartbeat that took no time at all to find. Maybe even better news: the lab finally found the bloodwork I had done back in July and shipped it to her office. They had taken 7 vials on my first visit, and then somehow lost it for a couple of months; the thought of going back and giving that much all over again made my stomach turn. The test results were good news (though nothing I didn't already expect - my doctor tests for everything under the sun - I do not have AIDS, syphilis, Hepatitis B or C; I have immunity to Hep A and rubella; I'm not diabetic. The bad news is that I'm still RH- which means a few big needles in the bum down the road. I totally disagree with their policy of needlessly poking me over and over like this; test Chad, I say, and find out whether we're even incompatible first. Their response: there's no way for sure they can tell that Chad is the father. I guess my word isn't good enough.)

The heartbeat was still in the girl range. Dr. Kate says she is still rooting for a girl but thinking there's no way it won't be a boy - citing the large number of boys in Chad's family as the reason why. Yes, there's a lot of them, but that's not to say there are no girls at all; this heart rate thing totally has me convinced that Number Two is a girl. And I think part of why I'm convinced that it's a girl is because I'm totally nervous about having a girl. I love little boys. I think I have them figured out OK. I don't think I'll know what to do with a girl. Pathetic, huh? One more month til the big ultrasound that might reveal all... and I will be waiting for it with bated breath.

9 comments:

The Robiltons said...

Can the RH factor change? For me, before each needle they took blood to confirm that I was in fact RH-, and I didn't understand why they couldn't add that detail to my chart and then check my chart each time.

megan said...

So cute,
She looks just like you Carrie!

Anonymous said...

Girls, at least in the beginning, are pretty darn easy honestly. You'll recognize all the parts too. ;) No circumcision decisions, much harder to shoot pee across the room, that type of thing.

It's later - the preteen and teenage years that girls become difficult. Still, I'm sure you'll handle that well too. :) Glad everyone is healthy and things look good.

Carrie said...

I don't think RH- can change - I think it's like blood type. You're either born with it or you're not. So I agree, why the continued tests? They could have dropped it down to 6 vials if they had just read my chart.

Liam is such a mellow little boy - and I have this vision in my head of a girl being a drama queen from day one. The no-flying-pee thing would be nice though!!

Kelly said...

I'm rooting for a girl. I too was convinced that we would never have a girl due to the predominantly male Taylor clan, but along came Sydney! Regarding the Rh-, if this is your last child you are almost at the end of the needles in the butt!!!

Anonymous said...

I tried to send this comment before, but it got lost. Just wanted to say that my Dr. was correct all 3 times with the heart rate thing. Even though he said a small boy may be mistaken or a large girl (in weight), Cory and Mandy were only 1 oz. apart in weight-and they still predicted correct. Good luck. I'm rooting for a girl!

Carrie said...

All of you people rooting for a girl are going to curse me! I'm still rooting for a boy, though maybe this is one of those cases where you never know what's missing from your life until you have it.

Kelly - are you RH- too? It's all gramma's fault!...

Anonymous said...

boy or girl (can one really know for sure before you see 'it'?) either way, looks like you have another thumb-sucker on your hands. :)

Anonymous said...

I think she looks more like Chad.