Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The ultimate test

I guess I passed the first test (surviving last week home alone with both kids) and it was time for the universe to kick it up a notch, and boy, did it ever. Chad came down with some sort of gastrointestinal virus on Saturday, and by Sunday Liam had it, too. I thought it was bad enough spending all day Sunday juggling both kids solo while it was supposed to be family time and I had a few things of my own I was looking forward to doing. Well, it was that much worse with Liam projectile vomiting all day yesterday, and Mallory coincidentally refusing to be her normal sleepy, easygoing self. Liam puked all over the couch, all over himself, all over me... all over pretty much everything. And all he wanted all day long was to be cuddled. I'm telling you, the look of death I got every time I had to get up to feed/change/just hold Mallory... it still makes me cringe. Maybe this is where the sibling relationship goes sour?

Liam actually fell asleep like this on the couch and lasted a good half hour - 45 minutes before waking up and puking apple juice all over. Lucky there was a double thickness of towels there.

Anyway, by last night he was eating again, and this morning he was happy as a clam to go to Cindy's. I am slightly frazzled, but no permanent damage has been done. Mallory and I have managed to dodge this bug (please, please let this continue to be true for the next couple of days!) - today we have some more dirty laundry to get through, and some much needed R&R on the agenda.

Note to self: go out and invest in one of those cheap vinyl tablecloths so that I have something waterproof to put down on future occasions such as these. As it was, I made do with towels, and was down to the very last dry towel in the house by day's end. (It could have been worse, I suppose; at least my washing machine is still in running order, which was more than poor Dawn could say when it was her family puking a few weeks ago!)

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!
Sorry you are going through this again!!!! You guys just had to deal with this recently too!!

Since our ordeal I have made a section of our linen closet devoted to vomit. A big tote contains 2 shower curtain liners, 2 buckets, a bunch of waterproof OB pads, a dustpan and a spatula (use your imagination), a can of Lysol and a bottle of spray Clorox.

Buy the cheapo shower curtain liners at the dollar store as your waterproof barrier!

Anonymous said...

Poor little Liam. So glad he is better today and back to Cindy's.