Sunday, May 27, 2007

It seemed like a good idea at the time

Haven't I used that title for a blog post, like, a dozen times already? :)

Yesterday was a cold, wet, blustery day, and rather than sit around the house going stir crazy, I decided to go down to the Early Years Centre for the morning. Chad and I spent the first part of the morning running around getting the kids fed and dressed and ready to go. Liam was totally psyched. And then, wouldn't you know it, I got down there... and there was nary a car in the parking lot. Closed. We came back home and I checked the schedule again. Although there was no specific program advertised, it also didn't say CLOSED the way it did for the Victoria Day stat, and I've never known them to be closed on a Saturday before, so I am still a little ticked.
Anyway, Liam wasn't quite understanding what had happened to the fun morning I promised him, so I decided to take matters into our own hands. I put a bug in Chad's ear before he took Liam out to run some errands, and they brought the vision to life by coming home with an assortment of measuring scoops and funnels from the dollar store, and ten pounds of rice (plus a few lentils to mix things up a bit). We threw it all into a Tupperware bin, and let Liam have at it.
Wow. What a hit.
We absolutely did have to run the vacuum through about three or four times yesterday, and even so we will be grinding rice underfoot for the next month, I'm sure. And it figured that as soon as we'd cleaned the whole thing up once, Liam wanted to get it out to play again. So we let him... but this is going to be a special rainy day activity only. Because otherwise, I might quite literally go mad.
Today, poor Mr. Liam is under the weather... he's got a cold, one I assume he picked up from a sick kid at Cindy's who I saw sneeze all over him (sigh). He went to bed early tonight... I hope he's feeling better tomorrow, because he hasn't been himself all day.

1 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh Yeah! Big time mess! We had buckets of beans, all shapes and sizes for play. Tons of fun for the kids, but big time clean up!