Friday, May 18, 2007

New wheels

The addition of #2 to our family required the addition of a new stroller, too. With Liam being not quite 2 when Mallory arrived, and unable to walk more than a few blocks on his own, we knew we would need something that had a comfy ride for him for some time to come. I was dead-set against any sort of side-by-side model, since I already find a single stroller to be a tight fit in many indoor venues; I know they say side-by-sides fit through a standard doorframe, but many store aisles, etc. do not adopt that same minimum clearance. We also didn't like standard front-to-back models that are longer than I am tall; they seem difficult to manoeuvre for the time being, and awkward to handle when you really only need to be pushing 1 kid.

We first saw a Phil & Ted's E3 when we were at the zoo last summer. It seemed like a cool, compact little thing. We actually approached strangers to ask about the make and model of their stroller, and looked it up when we got home. The Children's Furniture Gallery in London was carrying them, so we made a trip up to the store to take a look and take a test drive. Even though I balked at dropping the cash on it, I am so glad now that we went with this model. It's no bigger than our single stroller. It drives so smoothly, and manoeuvres like a dream - I can push it single-handedly, even with both kids loaded in. For now, Liam sits up front and Mallory rides in the bassinette in the back. When she's a little older, the bassinette pushes up to form the main seat for Liam, and the seat Liam is in now mounts on the back of the stroller to form a second seat for Mallory - a change that can be accomplished on the fly in a matter of seconds. I like the fact that, with or without the extra seat removed, it becomes a compact little ride for 1 - perfect for those days when Liam decides to walk more than ride, or when he outgrows a stroller altogether.

The drawbacks? So far, only 1. On those days when Liam goes to Cindy's, and I take Mallory out alone, I like this stroller so much that I still use it, rather than reverting back to our single. And I get a lot of funny looks. Once I had a mildly alarmed bank teller tell me she thought I had forgotten someone somewhere. People don't even notice Mallory in the back - in an Emporer's New Clothes sort of way, they think I am pushing around a figment of my imagination.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted about this, I was recently wondering if you loved it as much as you'd hoped you would.

I have a couple of questions about it, if you don't mind.

1. The basinette portion worried me a bit as it's so low. Do you have problems with accidentally bumping it with feet, low objects or curbs?

2. Can you post a picture at some point of what it looks like with the upright seats for both kiddos so we have a visual?

3. Is it easy to fold down?

Carrie said...

1. No problems with the bassinette, and that was a concern of mine, too - I'm tall and take long strides, and didn't want to be kicking it!

2. Will do!

3. It's easy to fold down, but it doesn't lock into place once folded the way our other stroller did. Instead, there's a tether strap to secure it, which is a little less convenient. Then again, I've only folded it once in the past 8 weeks that I've been using it... so that's easy for me to live with.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the info.

One last question (I think) - my stroller gets a lot of use when we're out and about so I need one that will work well with being folded and put into the trunk, then taken out when we get where we're going. Is it fairly compact when folded? It doesn't have to be too small - currently I have a Graco Quattro Tour and there's not much really compact about that - and I have a Buick trunk, so I have a fair amount of room. Mainly it's the bigger wheels that have me wondering.

Oh, and yes, I'm hoping to need one..I just have to wait until Monday to test.