Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Calling all cloth-diapering mamas

OK, one more post from me today, and then I swear I will leave well enough alone. Yesterday I got a decluttering itch, and so I listed a bunch of cloth diapering paraphernalia on eBay. Some of it was stuff that I just didn't like and never wound up using with Liam - cloth diapers vary widely from brand to brand, and certain things just seemed to work better for me than others. And some was stuff that I used extensively with both Liam and Mallory but it's newborn-size and she no longer fits into it. I am not ready to give away my beautiful little baby clothes and admit that we are done having kids yet... the diaper stuff seems a lot more noncommittal... I can always run out for a pack of Pampers if need be, right?

Anyway, a few hours later I got notice from eBay that they had cancelled most of my auctions because I violated their terms of use agreement. It seems they no longer deal in used underwear, and that includes cloth diapers. It was just a few months ago that I last listed some stuff and it sold without incident, so this is a new restriction. (Believe it or not, there is a huge resale market for used cloth diapers. Maybe because cloth-diapering mamas tend to be on the crunchy side, and would rather see something reused than go to landfill prematurely??) I do admit, I understand where eBay is coming from on this one. I can only imagine some of the used underwear auctions that must have been posted in the past. Ewwwwwww.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in some gently used stuff, let me know. I have some Bummis super whisper wraps in the newborn size that are in great condition. These are my absolute favourite diaper covers! I also have a couple of Kushies covers in Infant size (10-22 lbs) that were only used a few times - they just never suited me that well. There are also about 4 or 5 double-thick terry liners for overnight use that are brand new. It's all yours if you want it.

Or, if nobody wants it... any suggestions on where else I can look to sell it or give it away? Do you think the Women's Centre wants cloth diaper stuff??

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I was checking out the retailers for babylegs (I want to try them for Sydney since her legs are so short- tights just never seem to be the right size) & found this site for a 'shop' in Burlington. http://www.forbabywithlove.ca/
Their site states that they sell 'gently' used cloth diapers, so maybe they will take some off your hands. Hope this is helpful.

Anonymous said...

Recently I saw a site online that helps provide cloth diapers to women who are low-income - I thought that was a fabulous idea as cloth diapers can be less expensive than disposable but many couples who are struggling don't have the money for the initial investment.

this organization was in the US but perhaps there's something similar near you. At the very least I'm sure there's a shelter or clinic that can help you find a good home for them.

Anonymous said...

Put it on Craigs List.

Carolyn

Carrie said...

Thanks for the info. I will try contacting the local women's shelter and doing a search for any other place I can donate locally... if that fails, I'll see if I can sell them via one of these venues.

Carrie said...

PS Kelly - let me know how you make out with the Babylegs. I was the Neopolitan pair for Mallory sometime down the road. Not for any particular reason... just 'cause I think she'll look cute in them (can you say, "photo op"?? :) )