Monday, September 03, 2007

With apologies to Pottery Barn

Since we're already in the Halloween vein, let's continue. Last year I saw the most adorable Halloween advent calendar at Pottery Barn Kids. I was smitten. Here it is, in all its glory:One thing I was NOT smitten with: its price tag. $84 US, shipped. And it's felt. I mean, come on. Felt. So... I bought some felt of my own... and started cutting. Thought I could crank it out in no time. Instead, I wound up abandoning the project in short order, when I couldn't get my squares to come out, well, square. It was driving me nuts. I was using my T-square and everything, but a master seamstress I am not.

Anyway, when I got thinking about Halloween a few weeks ago, being on a high from having just scored Mallory's costume... I got the bag of supplies out again, and took another stab at it. This time, I just kept reminding myself that the kids probably won't care if my squares are crooked. And you know what? I'm almost done now, and it's been a lot of fun to assemble. I cut out the squares, did the embroidery around the edges, sewed them onto the backing, and am now almost done cutting out the shapes and numbers and adhering them with fabric glue. I just need to find some orange ricrac and rig up the dowel to hang it, and I'm done... well in advance of my October 1 deadline. (Oh yes... and I also need to lint-roller it in the worst way. Black felt attracts orange and white cat hair like you wouldn't believe!!)In case you can't tell, I'm mighty proud of myself. So far I have spent about $18 on my little project. I was hoping to keep it under $20, but I think the ricrac might put me over the edge. I don't think I am going to fill the pockets with candy... I mean, Halloween is already all about candy as it is. I think I'm going to look for a plush spider or something similar at the dollar store, and move it from pocket to pocket as the month passes.

Once I get this baby finished... it's time to start my Christmas advent calendar. And after the high of this success, all I have to say is: bring it!!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

That looks so amazingly AWESOME!!!!! Very envious! I just cannot, C-A-N-N-O-T take on another craft project, maybe next year! And your squares look, well, SQUARE! Really, you did a great job!

Brandy said...

You squares look very square to me!! And I have to admit, I am SO going to be stealing this idea. Great job!!

Carrie said...

Thanks for the kind words. You know that as an engineer, I simply cannot deal with crooked lines, right? :)

Dawn - you never know what your birthday might turn up! If you can save yourself the time, by all means, do so! But Brandy - really, this was super easy to spend a few hours on at night while watching TV. Time consuming, but easy!