Thursday, October 04, 2007

The most wonderful time of the year

I love fall. Love, love, love fall. Even when it's 80 degrees outside. :) Anyway, I think I'm going to have another little fall-lover on my hands, because Liam has been commenting on all the pumpkins everyone's been putting out on their porches lately. I told him we could get some for our porch too and from that point onwards, every time I asked him what he wanted to do that day, the answer was: get pumpkins. We had some crummy, rainy weather, and even though we don't go get our pumpkins from the field, I held him off for a few days to at least let it clear.

Yesterday was the day - I told him we could go after his afternoon nap, but then he didn't want to nap and pushed it back late. By the time he got up we already had the barbecue on for dinner. No matter - we still had a couple hours of daylight left, and went after we ate. He wanted to change into his Halloween shirt for the occasion and insisted that Mallory wear hers, too. What a great kid - how did he know that that would make for a great photo op? I love, love, LOVE this shot of Mallory - something about her expression here really gets me.

There is a roadside farm stand down the road from us with insanely cheap pumpkins - we went there first and got the majority of what we wanted, and then went to the more expensive farm stand in town (that's decorated to the hilt) for one cursory pumpkin - just enough patronage to justify having brought the camera there. :) (I patronize them plenty during the rest of the year, so I don't feel guilty about it!)

This Frankenstein was one of those things that starts moving and talking when you walk past. Nearly scared Liam to death the first time he went by, when it let out this big spooky laugh, but then it started singing Kiss and being a little friendlier. Pretty soon Liam was deliberately trying to set it off and it was hard to get him in the car to go home. Think I can talk Chad into getting one for our front lawn? :)

The pumpkins are now scattered on the steps up to our front porch, and I do mean scattered. I tried arranging them with some little bit of artistic flair, but then Liam stepped in to take creative control of the ones light enough for him to lift, and now, well, let's just say it looks like we have vegetables running amok on our steps. I hope the mailman doesn't trip.

1 comments:

Dawn said...

very cute! We still need to grab some pumpkins. there is a private field in walking distance from our home that they tried to oh so delicately HIDE behind a few rows of corn, but me the psycho photog saw through them! Would love to plop the kids down in the field and take some shots, just have that pesky trespassing thing and a possible arrest to worry about.