Monday, October 22, 2007

Who needs Disney?

When Liam was still just a wee thing, Chad concocted a plan for us to take a family trip to Disney in the spring of 2010. (Yeah... we are both big planners, and enjoy having something to look forward to!) We figured having a 5 year old and a 3 year old would be the ideal time to go. Only trouble is... it still seems so far off.Never fear. On the weekend we went to Detroit, where Chad ran the half marathon. And we found out that there is more than enough fun to be had in your standard hotel room... I don't know what will happen to Liam when we add cartoon characters and rides into the mix... maybe he'll implode??We stayed at the RenCen and were central to everything. Getting across the border was brutal - a reflection of the dollar's parity, perhaps? - but the kids were thrilled when we got to the hotel. Liam took charge of the baggage and was awed by the view out our 15th-floor window, which overlooked the People Mover (train) and downtown core. Both kiddos enjoyed jumping around on the bed.This was the view to one side of our hotel room... in honour of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.It wouldn't be a trip to Detroit without Pizza Papalis for dinner! This time we ordered takeout though... didn't have the patience to wait the hour for them to make it to order in the restaurant.Why were we there again? Oh yeah, so Chad could run. The weather was great for spectating, though it was a bit windy and warm to be running. The spectating... Liam was actually able to pick Chad out of the swarm of runners, too, which was exciting for him. It's a big race (more than 10,000 runners) so that's easier said than done.Both kiddos are so proud of their dad and got a kick out of his finisher's medal. Post-race hanging out by the waterfront. Liam had an incident with these fountains after dark on Saturday night... I think his things have finally dried out now!

7 comments:

megan said...

Just a bit of advice, I went to Disney with a 3 and 5 year old. If I was to do it over I would have waited until 5&7 or 7&9 (let's hope we have the cash by then).

Kelly said...

I'm with Megan. We went when I was 5 & I can remember parts of the trip- the highlight being Chip & Dale coming into the campground. We plan to take the kids but are definitely thinking Jason needs to be at least 5. If we are going to spend that time & energy for something they will surely love- we want to be sure they will remember it too.

I should get back to work- I am taking a frustration break.

Dawn said...

Way to go Chad! Now come down to NYC and do the BIG one!!!!!!!

Got to agree with Megan and Kelly, though Eric disagrees, he wants to go in February. The boys will be Newly 6 and 3 and a half. I think Gavin will still be too young.

Anonymous said...

I disagree. We took Darin and Chad when they were 21/2 and 5 and we all had a wonderful time. It is so much fun just watching your kids have fun. We went every two years and of course we camped which we thought was even more fun.
If you are talking only going once in a lifetime maybe you would be best to wait till they are abit older.
My feelings are you are never too young or too old for Disney.
We still love to go in our 60's.

megan said...

Well hasn't this turned out to be quite the discussion... I agree Dana that if you are going to go every year then sure why not start when they are 3 or earlier even. I just found that Audrey was too small for lots of stuff and although Evelyn was tall enough she was scared. She cried through the Pirate thing, the Peter Pan Ride and the one about that little alien who lands in Hawaii, Lilo and Stich I think it was called. We didn't go anywhere but Magic Kingdom but I think it would be the same at the other parks.
Besides Audrey has no memory of going and Evelyn felt that Storybook Gardens was way more fun.

Carrie said...

All I know is, I am ready for a vacation myself... and I am counting down to the day that I can spend some time in the Lazy River at Blizzard Beach!!

megan said...

Let's just hope they let you take 3 year olds on that ride :).