Thursday, November 22, 2007

I totally feel this way, too

No, I'm not about to fall asleep and do a face plant in my dinner... but mentally... I am exhausted. Potty training is definitely the low point of parenthood for me so far. Why is it that a diaper makes a poop seem so much more pleasant?

After our string of accidents yesterday morning, Liam stayed dry for the rest of the day (a drop or two on the underpants here and there notwithstanding). But, this is only because I had the timer on the microwave going off every 25 minutes or so, and when it sounded it would be time for him to sit on the potty for 2 minutes. All in all, between successes in the potty and accidents on his clothes or the floor, Liam peed 13 times yesterday. So by the end of the day I was thinking he was getting the hang of going in the potty... but as far as 'holding it' goes... not so much success there.

Today we got off to a similar start - went through three changes of clothes by 11 a.m. At that point I needed to blow off some steam and get out of the house, so we went for a walk around the block, and Liam managed to stay dry the entire time and then promptly get himself to the potty as soon as we were in the door to pee. Hey, I thought, this is really not going so bad. Then, after lunch, he again took the incentive to get to the potty, and did a poop. Wonderful, right? Ah, but I should have known from the looks of things that, well, the quantity was lacking. He assured me he was done, but not two minutes later he came running into the room with something definitely weighing his underpants down in the back. Ugh. He yanked the underpants off before I could stop him and then there was poop everywhere. Ew, ew, ew.

I guess what frustrates me - ha, frustrated and not even 48 hours into it! - is that there is no motivation for him. He just doesn't seem to care where he goes. Wet clothes don't faze him. I have started making him go upstairs to get dry underpants, bring them down, change, and then take his wet ones up to his laundry basket, hoping the time away from his toys is inconvenient enough to make him stop, but it's not working. He enjoys the Gummi Bears when he gets them, but doesn't mind when he misses them. I've tried explaining that if we go somewhere like the Early Years Centre and he dirties his clothes, we will have to leave and come home early, but I don't know if he's buying that. I know this has to be done but man... it sucks!

Any way I can hit a fast forward button and come back to my life in a couple of weeks?

1 comments:

megan said...

A couple of weeks? I love a dreamer.