Thursday, December 13, 2007

Things I said I'd never do

Earlier this week we went through the fiasco of getting Liam some new winter boots. The first few times he wore last year's boots this season, he said they fit, but (not surprisingly) he soon decided they didn't. And then another little guy showed up at Cindy's house with Diego boots... and then Liam really insisted that his old boots didn't fit.

So I went out and got him some Diego boots. I swore my child would never wear cartoon character clothing, and especially not character shoes, and especially ESPECIALLY not the kind of footwear that has flashing red lights. Though in my defense, I didn't notice the flashing lights until after I got them home. Anyway, what do you think happened? I got the boots home but didn't show them to Liam - just asked if he thought he would like some Diego boots. And although this was just 24 hours after our first conversation, Liam replied that Diego boots would be OK, but that what he would really like is Spider Man boots.

And so, because I often try too hard to make my child like me, I went back out and found some Spider Man boots, and brought those home. And I was pleased, really, because the Spider Man boots were not quite as hideous as the Diego boots, and I was glad to ratchet down the hideous factor, even if only a little. But then we showed Liam both pairs of boots, and wouldn't you know it - he was enchanted with Diego.

(*sigh*)
So Spider Man went back to the store, and Diego is here to stay. And it's good that we did all this earlier in the week, because today we got some snow and had a chance to put them to use. We went out for a sled ride around the block, and Liam made some snow angels on the driveway, while Mallory amused herself by eating the snow. All good clean winter fun. (*sigh*)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

so jealous! We only received a freezing cold rain today! Hopefully this weekend will bring some of the white stuff.........and I totally feel your cartoon character PAIN! Blech! Pjs and underwear only over here, call me harsh! I even hate gavin's gymnastics 'uniform' with the cartoony bus on it.........{shudder}, I think I need to have my head examined! LOL!

The Robiltons said...

What is it about Dora and Diego that draws kids like moths to a flame? Honestly, it's like a crack addiction. They can't stop themselves.

Carrie said...

They can't stop themselves, but now that we know how much he likes it, we can't stop ourselves, either, so we are also to blame. I just did a quick tally and Liam is getting 2 Diego presents and there are 4 Spiderman items for his stocking. We're enablers.