Monday, January 21, 2008

Just like the ocean - don't turn your back on her

This morning, again, Mallory was into the cat food and she ate goodness knows how much by the time I caught her. I didn't think it was taking me all that long to throw a load of wash in, but in hindsight I did spot-treat a sweater of hers that had carrot stains on it, so it was probably longer than I thought.

Anyway, the damage was done. Have you ever read the ingredient list on a bag of pet kibble? Besides the fact that the first item listed is Chicken By-Product Meal, which is bad enough in and of itself, there is also "Powdered Cellulose 10% (source of fibre)" - which means, what, ground up trees? Well, at least they justified it, right? - as well as "Chicken Liver Flavour" (no wonder she keeps going back for more, right?) and a bunch of multi-syllable things that really don't sound like food, like "Pyridoxine Hydrochloride".

Well.

Last week, on our vet's advice, we bought one of those circulating water dishes, the kind with the pump in it that is supposed to aerate the water and encourage your cat to drink it. Captain refuses to drink out of anything except from a vase of flowers or a running tap, and we're getting sick of him breaking vases and also sick of turning on a tap for him and having to wait for him to finish to turn it off again. So the pricey little water dish seemed like a good idea (except that I have yet to see him use it, so it might be money not well spent). The dish has found a home in the basement, the only place it is out of the way but still close enough to an outlet to plug in, and the executive decision has now been made to relocate the food along with it.

I am a bit worried about doing this, because I am an out-of-sight-out-of-mind type of person, and I fear that I will only remember that the cat needs to be fed once a week or so. (Then again, we've been told that he needs to lose a considerable amount of weight, so this may in fact be in his best interest). Worse still would be forgetting to keep the water dish filled. Regardless, I would rather risk Captain skipping the odd meal than having Mallory fill up again on "Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid)".

No wonder she wasn't really hungry for her lunch.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

as long as "meow" isn't her first word I think you will be okay!

Unknown said...

I don't know if this will make you feel better but Pyridoxine Hydrochloride is just vitamin B. Other than that I concur with Dawn

Ainsley said...

Hi Carrie,

I've been keeping up to date with your family via your blogs and have only just prioritized a time to comment. Your children are beautiful and your photography is astounding. I am envious and yet proud to have such a talented cousin. Everytime I visit your page I admire how you've captured your family so well. I always mention to my boyfriend, Daryl, that I desperately want to ask you to do photographs for us on our wedding day, but how I would feel awful asking because it's been SO long since I've seen you and because you are such a busy mom keeping up with two little ones.

Daryl's family lives in Blenheim, so I am down in the Chatham area usually once every two months. Perhaps one of these days we could get together and I could Mallory and see Liam again.

I hope that this finds your family well!
Always,
Ainsley

Carrie said...

Michelle - my goodness, that does make me feel better! I am constantly worried that eating the cat food is poisoning her!

Ainsley - hi and long time no see! I didn't know you're getting married! - is there a date already set or is this still a hypothetical? :)

We would love to see you sometime, especially if you are here in the next couple of months before I go back to work. We go swimming out in Blenheim every week so I know the drive well. Definitely let me know when you plan to be here. Your mom has my email address if you want to reach me directly.

((hugs))
Carrie