Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Nursing strike

I know I was just gushing about her newly sophisticated palate... maybe that explains why she is now on a nursing strike. Yesterday she woke up from her nap early, cranky and miserable, and since then she has refused to nurse. She's not even trying and then calling it quits - she has gone completely cold turkey.

Her cold has taken a turn for the worse, which I hope explains things. It can't be easy eating like that when your nose is totally plugged. But if that were the case, I would expect her to at least give it a shot before calling it quits. *sigh* I don't think it's an ear infection, since we were just at the doctor's and her ears were checked there. And I have a hard time believing that she is just ready to be done when she was so interested in it just the day before - it's not like her interest has been waning. Weaning is looming on the horizon, but I was hoping to at least make it to a year, if for no other reason then at least so I can avoid having to learn the ins and outs of formula. Though I do still have that free can sitting in the pantry from oh-so-many months ago. :)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

oh, that little pout, pulls at my heart! Sorry about the nursing strike, maybe she's just more interested in being up and about now? Maybe some vicks on your chest to help her congestion as she nurses? I never nursed (regret not trying it just once) so I'm no help.

megan said...

I am sure you know what I am going to say...a nursing strike is totally normal when you have a cold, it is hard to breath and suck at the same time. Keep trying and pump if you have to. S he will make it to a year and longer if it is in the cards.

Your friendly boob nazi :)

Rose said...

I agree with Megan - pump to keep up supply and prevent a plugged duct or mastitis. Try using saline and a nasal aspirator to clear her nose, and don't give up yet. There were many times we thought Em was weaning only to be proved very wrong.

Likely only temporary. Offer but don't push. When she's tired (right before nap, bed and when she first wakes in the morning) might be good times to try successfully when the lights are still dim, curtains drawn, etc.