Sunday, February 17, 2008

With newfound social graces

Last night, we went to a birthday party for Liam's little friend who is turning 4. Mallory and one other little girl aside, Liam was the youngest one at the party - in some cases by as much as 7 or 8 years. That kind of spread on kids' ages is a pretty big deal - meaning that he had absolutely nothing in common with most of them. So it cracked me up big time when I asked him if he wanted to eat his dinner with me and Mallory and the other adults in the kitchen and he said no, he wanted to eat with the kids. Meaning, at the kids table in the dining room. I asked if he was sure, at which point Chad accused me of trying to make him a mama's boy and rendering him socially inept. And I had to agree. I still think of Liam being such a shy little thing, but while he is still really sensitive... the shyness is starting to wane. He is much more likely to join in with other kids' activities than he was even six months ago. So I fixed him a plate, and he found a spot at the kids' table, and although I don't think he talked to anyone... he clearly enjoyed himself. It got me all happy for him and proud of him. It was pretty cool to see.By the time the cake was cut it was past 9 p.m., and Mallory had clearly had enough, and Liam was starting to head south himself. But when I told him we were going to go home, he got his pouty lip and said, "But she hasn't opened any presents yet!" So we stayed a bit longer to watch the gift-opening, and then Liam decreed that we could all go home.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Go Liam! Rocking out with the big kids! Isn't it sad, but yet invigorating to see them become such independent little people?

now, what the heck shape is that cake??? Crown? Tiara? Shrek's foot print?

Ralph and Marlene Robinson said...

I never like to be the first to leave a party either