Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Absentee dad indulgence

So we went out for groceries after the kids' naps yesterday afternoon (and no, the world did not implode as a result). I was planning to make salmon and broccoli for dinner, a meal that Liam actually quite likes, when suddenly something overcame me and I pulled into the McDonald's drive thru on the way home. Liam was more than happy to order up a Happy Meal, and I am always good with a Filet-o-Fish. We got Mallory the most wholesome item on the menu, a regular hamburger, and then I was possessed again and ordered a Shamrock Shake. I can't remember the last time I had one of those, and wasn't even sure if I liked them, but what can I say? I guess I was hooked by the 'limited time only' spiel.

Anyway, once home, I set the kids up with their food while I unpacked the groceries. All was well until I sat down to eat too, and I offered Liam some of the Shamrock Shake. Let's just say he didn't come up for air again for several minutes, and when I got back to the shake myself, there were but a few dregs left in the bottom of the cup. (I was a bit grumpy after that, because I found that I looooooove me a Shamrock Shake. I think another trip to McDonalds may be in order before they stop serving them next week.) Liam only ate another bite or two of hamburger, and with a belly full of milkshake, his fries went untouched. Mallory is always up for a french fry but she did not take to the hamburger at all (smart girl, Mal, don't let McDonald's rope you in!) Her new thing now is to very purposefully chuck her food on the floor once she is done eating, and it wasn't even a minute after I gave her the burger that the bun, patty and pickles were all ceremoniously dropped. She finished dinner off with a bowlful of strawberries, blueberries and yogurt, which she scarfed down no problem.

1 comments:

Dawn said...

http://www.shamrockshake.com/

apparently your love of the shake is widespread! May have to swing by one on my way to get my men!