Friday, March 07, 2008

A handy excuse to have

One of Liam's favourite things these days is his collection of DVDs. He has 5 of them: Jungle Book, Winnie the Pooh, There Goes a Rescue Hero, Dumbo, and for Valentine's Day, we gave him a copy of Finding Nemo. I like Finding Nemo quite a bit (for a cartoon) and was disappointed when Liam didn't take to this movie the way he has the others. He rarely wants to put it in and when I put it in, he will change it when I'm not looking. I think I found the root of the problem the other day though. There is a scene where Nemo's dad and Dory encounter a group of sharks who are trying to reform and no longer eat fish, but they're having a hard time with it. It was when that part came on that Liam ran over to the DVD player and pressed 'stop' and told me he didn't think Mallory liked that part of the movie. I suppose it could be pretty scary, even for a 3 year old; the shark has multiple rows of sharp teeth and is pretty mean-looking. I guess that's why Liam is not crazy about Finding Nemo. I was reminded of when I was a kid - that scene from Sleeping Beauty with Malificent scared me for ages, and stuck with me long after seeing the movie. Anyway, we will save Nemo for the future and probably watch it more when Liam is a bit older, and for now maybe we will stick to some friendlier Disney movies. We got the kids a DVD each for their Easter baskets. Liam is getting Peter Pan and Mallory is getting Cinderella. Cinderella should be OK, but we might need to watch out for any adverse reactions to Captain Hook.

3 comments:

megan said...

Did you get the classic Peter Pan? If so I think you will be surprised by the violence, swearing, smoking and racial slurs that are rampent in neverland. I don't remember it being quite like that as a kid.

Dawn said...

Does Mal have naptime and mealtime confused?

Carrie said...

Hmm, it's a Disney Peter Pan. Is there swearing even in the Disney version? :P

And yes, naptime and mealtime are getting blurred more and more these days. And this was BEFORE the time change, so it's going to get worse before it gets better!