Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Oh no he didn't

Last year, the Easter Bunny made a stop at Gramma and Grampa Cook's house, and left something there for the kiddos (nevermind that Mallory wasn't even born yet, but we've been over how ticked I am at her for being two weeks late before, right?) In his basket, Liam found his first pair of Crocs. The shoes were a hit and when we talked to Gramma on the phone last week, she mentioned that the Easter Bunny would be willing to supply this year's Crocs as well, if Liam would like to pick out a colour.

So when Liam was at Cindy's this week, I took a trip out to The Glasshouse to see what they had in stock. I thought I would probably make a return trip with him to let him see what was available, and I spent most of my time there finding a pair for Mallory. And luckily, Crocs do come small enough to fit her. I thought about getting her a few different kinds but in the end, the standard Kids Caymans won out, and there is now the cutest little pair of pink (of course) Crocs with a big Jibbitz flower waiting for her.

When Liam came home we casually asked him what kind of shoes he might want this summer. (At the end of last summer, he was saying he wanted purple Crocs). We asked without even mentioning the word 'Croc' - to see what he would say. His response?

"I want some Spiderman shoes."

And the horrible part of it is, there are licenced Spiderman Crocs out there. They're awful. See? I put up with the Diego boots but I do NOT want Spiderman Crocs. The good news is that Liam didn't realize they were really available; he was just being hypothetical. Later that night I took him on the Croc website and let him browse through all the colours, being careful not to let him see the Spiderman style, and he chose orange. I can live with that. So next time he is at Cindy's, I will go pick up a pair of plain orange Crocs and wait for the Easter Bunny to give them to him at Easter, and I will do my best to shield him from any other kid we encounter wearing the Spiderman Crocs this summer.

We also asked Liam what kind of shoes Mallory might want, and he said she would like some pink Crocs. This conversation occurred after the purchase was already made, so I'm glad I got it right.

5 comments:

The Robiltons said...

The Spiderman crocs are not that bad!!

Dawn said...

What size is he in? If he's in 10/11 don't get him orange, convince him of a new color! I have a BARELY WORN pair from Gavin from last year in nearly PRISTINE condition! I had planned on sending them your way anyway, even if it's not his size, save them for the future.

Anonymous said...

how come he cant have the Spidey ones?

Carrie said...

I know the Spiderman ones aren't completely hideous, but... I just have such an aversion to character clothes. And I have no idea why he even likes Spiderman. He's never seen the movies, or a TV show, or read a book, so why does he care about him so darn much? And if we get him those shoes is he then going to decide he no longer likes Spiderman but that Spongebob is the new 'it' thing?

Dawn - I will email you!

Unknown said...

Lighten up, he will only be a kid once. You may not like character clothes but is is really not supposed to be about you is it?