Monday, May 26, 2008

0 for 4 and counting

Last week, while I was picking up some holds at the library, the new Rachael Ray cookbook caught my eye on the New Arrivals rack.
Yum-o!: The Family Cookbook promised to make my life better by offering fast, kid-friendly, healthy meal ideas - something I've felt sorely lacking in for some time now. So I picked it up and made out last week's shopping list with it in mind. Over the course of the week, I had the chance to try out 4 of the recipes, and - you know where this is going, right? - they all went over like a lead balloon at our house.
I thought the tuna, pasta and pesto salad was actually really good, and I ate pretty much the whole recipe myself - it (thankfully) packed quite nicely for work lunches. Then I tried the Chicken Toastachos, which again, I quite liked, and Chad ate without complaint, but Liam did not touch and Mallory, well, I can't even remember, but my guess is no.
I guess I have had a thing for Mexican lately, because then I tried the Chickenadas, and the kids didn't touch those either, though Chad polished off the whole lot.
Last night was the Chili Lime Chicken, which sounded good, but it was remarkably tasteless for a recipe with that much chili powder and that much lime zest. Unless I just bought really inferior chili powder and limes.
So, on the menu this week we have High Liner Healthy Choice Fish Fingers, Shake n Bake chicken strips, and maybe even a peanut butter sandwich or two. Liam is growing increasingly suspicious as he comes to the dinner table each night. I think it's time to reintroduce a few old standbys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the Best Lasagne Ever on the Pioneer Woman blog. That was a hit with Em and hubby, and I loved it myself. :D It's your fault I'm addicted to her blog now, btw.

Sorry you've been on a losing streak with recipes. I hate it when that happens!!!

I have a creamed chicken and noodles (crockpot) recipe that's a hit around here, if you want it.

Carrie said...

I would totally try it!... maybe not til the fall when it's crockpot season again :) ... but I will take all the kid-friendly recipes I can get!