Thursday, May 01, 2008

Siggin' expensive!

You can't open a newspaper these days without being regaled by horror stories about BPA. It's been known to be not-so-good-for-you for a long time, and just last week, Health Canada finally blacklisted it.

This is the stuff that most plastic baby bottles and lots of sippy cups are made out of - not exactly what you want to hear when your house has been overrun with the stuff for the past 3 years. There is good news, though. Number one, we never did use the Avent bottles of breast milk that I pumped. They all went down the drain after a few months. Number two, none of our sippy cups, who DO get a heckuvalotta use, contain BPA - phew! And number three, you can now round up all your Avent bottles and take them back to places like Wal Mart and Zellers to get your money back, even if they are old and scuzzy and used. And who can't use a gift card to a place like that?

I had been scouting around for something certified to be BPA free for some time, not just for the kids, but for us, too. We go through a lot of bottled water in our house, and those bottles aren't good for you, either. Most of the safe sippys I looked into had waiting lists a mile long to ship - so finally I turned to the Sigg bottles.

I ordered ours through Reusable Bags, partly because they were in stock, and partly because the prices were far better than anywhere I'd found them in Canada. And luckily, they sailed though customs without being taxed or dutied any, because the order for 4 bottles, one for each of us, came to a staggering $103. For water bottles! But at what price your health, right?

That said, they are pretty cool. We all got our own, personality-specific design. Here's Chad's... only he got it in black, because he has a teeny, tiny, black little heart. Here's mine (the white one)... bright and sunny, just like me.There's Liam up there with his - it has fire trucks on it! So cool! And for Mal Mal we got this one: In pink, of course, and with a set of handles to make it easier for her to use. It took her no time at all to figure out (which I was originally worried about) and I have to say, since I've had my bottle at work with me this week, I have been drinking more water than I have in a long, long time. They're metal bottles, and the insides are enamelled so your drinks don't come out tasting all metallic-y. I totally recommend them - there, that's my enabling of you for this week. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same one you do! I bought a couple for the girls too. They are great, but you're right, freakin' expensive!

The girls bring theirs to school with them. Which reminds me, I need to label them before they go AWOL!

megan said...

Your's is also the same as Jen's. Must be a popular style!

Anonymous said...

teeny, tiny AND black! what did he do?? ;)