Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Olympic dream

So, I've been watching a lot of the Olympics lately. It's nice to have something on in the background while we clean/sort/purge/pack, and it's funny how much my interest in something like water polo increases when it's at the Olympics. I even thought the opening ceremonies, which I normally can't stand (interpretive dance detailing the formative years of foreign countries? - not really my thing) were pretty good. The architecture of the venues is interesting.

And I was thinking, despite all the ruckus about whether China deserves to have the Olympics or not, that it was going well, that maybe this was the opportunity the Chinese needed to turn things around. I liked seeing George Bush sitting in the stands watching the events. Michael Phelps and his eight gold medals, blah blah blah. Everything is all warm and fuzzy - exactly as the Olympics should be. (Except for the fact that, to date, Canada has not won a single medal. But I digress.)

Then, I saw this.

And then, I saw this.

And now I'm starting to rethink my plans to pick up some Chinese takeout and kick back and celebrate a bit during the next big competition or closing ceremonies. The Olympics have lost some of the warm fuzzies for me. Throw a good doping scandal into the mix, and I'm done.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not nearly as upset about the fireworks as I am about the situation with these two girls. As the mother of a little girl, I'm disgusted by the message they have sent about what determines the worth of a performance.

Then again, China has a fabulous track record when it comes to recognizing the worth of children, especially female children. Why change for the Olympics?!? *sigh*

I will watch some events because of my interest in the events themselves, but I'm no more impressed with China than I was to begin with, for sure.