Thursday, December 02, 2010

Feline status update

A quick post from my desk since I have been fielding inquiries about Captain.

First off, we were in and out of the vet's office within LITERALLY two minutes on Monday. No fuss whatsoever over having his blood drawn. Why we couldn't accomplish that on our Saturday trip remains a mystery to me.

He has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. This means a few things:

1. I was wrong
2. The vet was right
3. It's a good thing I'm not a vet
4. Chad was right and we should have trusted the vet's opinion and not bothered spending $175 on the blood test. (Yeah, I thought it was only going to be $153 too... then they factored in the HST.)

So, starting as soon as I can possibly drive clear across town to the vet's office and pick it up, we start pilling Captain twice a day for the rest of his life.

Don't you wish you were me??

The pills are in the $15-$20 per month range. I suppose it could be worse. If we can't pill him successfully then we can try a cream (which is not good around young kids, since it contains hormones you don't want them coming into contact with) or a liquid, but those are progressively more expensive.

If we really, really get sick of pilling Captain, we can take him to Mississauga and have his thyroid nuked. This should permanently fix the problem but it also costs $1000. So we'll try the pills first.

We will also get him off the diet food. I think it's done a good enough job for the time being. :)

0 comments: