Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ribfest 2010

On Friday night, we headed down to the local Ribfest at Tecumseh Park. Going to this event was my suggestion. Number one, Chad loves ribs. Number two, they advertised $5 wristbands for the kids that would allow them to jump on bouncy castles to their hearts’ content. I would rather pay $5 and let them wear themselves out than stand in line for an hour in exchange for 3 minutes of free playtime. But maybe that’s just me.We got there shortly after the weekend opened, and it was great. Low crowds. The kids jumped around and had fun. There was a minor issue when a fuse kept shorting out and they finally had to relocate a few of the inflatables to a different area of the park, but once that was done, all was well again.We ran into one of Liam’s friends from school and in fact it was one of his best friends. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Liam being so social in my life. After we left the area he kept talking about going to find Hunter again. It wasn’t intentional, but we ran into Hunter 3 or 4 more times before we were done for the night. What I thought would be an hour of jumping around turned into more like 3 hours. They jumped, they ran around, they logrolled down the riverbank. We got his phone number and might have him come visit sometime.The kids slept well that night.While I remembered that Chad loves ribs, I’d forgotten that he has an aversion to street vendor food. And even though these rib shacks looked credible, we decided to get something to eat from a local cafĂ© instead. We did, however, partake of the fresh-squeezed lemonade.All in all… it was a great way to spend a Friday night. Unfortunately for us, Kim Mitchell didn’t play until Saturday night, and we didn’t make it back down for that. I would have liked to be there. Might as well go for a soda, and all of that. Maybe next time.

0 comments: