Monday, July 19, 2010

Tonight's 3-ring circus

Mallory spent a long time in her room wailing after I tucked her in. The kind of wailing that is most definitely fake.

Eventually, she came to the door and started to make her exaggerated crying noises right under it, out into the hall in her loudest voice possible. Finally, I went in.

"What's the matter, Mallory?"

"I had a bad dream, Mommy, and it scared me." (She has been keeping up a non-stop stream of commentary since I put her to bed nearly an hour ago, so I am not sure when she found the time to do her dreaming.)

"What was your dream about, sweetie?"

"I had a dream that I couldn't take my dancing lessons." Yes, because not being able to take ballet lessons at the age of 3 rates right up there on the list of world disasters, doesn't it? Right in between the Gulf oil spill and Darfur.

"Well, it was only a dream, honey, and dreams are just pretend."

"Maggie says dreams don't come true."

"That's right, they are only pretend."

"Maggie is wrong, Mom. Dreams do come true. Snow White wanted a Prince and her dream came true."

Leave it to a Disney princess to foil my plot to get her back into bed.

1 comments:

megan said...

I think someone is preparing you.