Monday, June 02, 2008

Birthday weekend recap

After three Fridays in a row off work, I am not looking forward to going back to a 5-day work week this week… however… I consider myself lucky to have at least had my birthday off! Chad was out of town, so the kiddos and I made the most of it on our own. First we went out for pancakes for breakfast (where I discovered that ordering one kids’ plate to split between Liam and Mallory may no longer be an option: he had the bacon and 4 of the pancakes, she had the other 2, and he still had to scrounge some more to eat from me!) Then we ran a few errands, and then spent the rest of the morning back home playing with a new water table the kiddos gave me for my birthday. Thoughtful little buggers, aren’t they? :)

We ALL had a lovely afternoon nap, and then Gramma and Grampa came to hang with the kiddos and put them to bed while I had a girls’ night out with some friends… we went to dinner (and drank cosmos!) before heading to see Sex and the City. Which was not a great movie, but if you watched the show when it was on… how can you not want to see the next part of the story?

Saturday was not as much fun. The reason Chad was out of town was that he was running the Shore to Shore relay… he had 4 legs of the race, covering roughly 40 km, spaced from Friday morning until early Saturday afternoon. We went up to see the last leg of his race on Saturday, but it was not the adventure it was cracked up to be. The drive wasn’t too bad (1.25 hours) but we arrived in the midst of a crazy hailstorm, so the kids were cooped up in the car instead of let out to watch that part of the race, and when it was over, it was time to turn around and come home. So it was a long time in the car for them, and I don’t blame them one bit for being cranky on account of it. At least we had the car; poor Chad was out in the hail.On Sunday Gramma and Grampa came to visit… which meant Liam got some playmates. Here he is going for a typical Liam-style walk: helmet on his head and pulling his wagon (chock-full of a dump truck, and empty Tupperware tub, and oh, yes, Mallory too) behind him.That was made up for when Grampa took Mallory out for a bike ride. She's a little daredevil... she likes the thrills a lot more than Liam does. We did get the bubble machine up and running this weekend... huge hit! Honestly, I may never pick up a bubble wand again. This just might be my go-to present for birthday parties from now on. Thanks again, Ryan and Deanna!

0 comments: