Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Another entry from the Geek file

I have always wanted to go see the Space Shuttle launch. And I always thought it would happen. One day we would take a spring break trip to Florida, and drive out to Cape Canaveral to see it go up.

Then it occurred to me - like, literally only a few months ago - that there are only, what, three launches left before they retire the shuttle fleet in 2010? And then no more space flight for years and years until they build a new fleet. And the word from NASA right now is that there are still so many arguments over design that they are many more years from being ready than the general public thinks.

So that rather sobering thought is why I was so delighted when the most recent launch of the Shuttle was scrubbed 3 times, and the 4th and final attempt occurred while we were at Disney. In an ideal world, I would have seen it go up from Cocoa Beach or some other prime viewing location. As it was, I was in bed at 9:30, just as wiped out from a day in the parks as the kids were. We were on property and didn't have a rental car, but no matter. I set my alarm for 11:50 and went to the bus stop in front of our hotel to see the 11:59 launch. Even from 90 miles away, it did not disappoint. Yes, it's just a little orange ball of fire in the sky, but I can't tell you how excited I was to see it clear the treetops.



I still have a trip report to complete and more happenings from around our house to get to. There is a post pile-up coming. Just as soon as I have time.

0 comments: