Monday, January 24, 2011

Fancy schmancy

On Saturday, Mallory was invited to a birthday party for her friend Meghan, who turned 4. It was a Fancy Nancy party and the guests were invited to wear their jazziest ensembles. This is what Mallory came up with. At first she wanted to wear her Cinderella dress, as she seems to be going through a Cinderella resurgence; but I talked her out of it (on account of her wearing that same dress to Meghan's party last year.) She does like the tutu so she settled for it. I know the silhouette of the moment calls for a voluminous top over slim bottoms, not a big ruffly shirt over a big ruffly skirt like Mallory is modelling here, but a plain t shirt just wouldn't cut it for Fancy Nancy, you know?? I admit that I tried to talk Mallory into wearing a pair of tights that have a blue and green harlequin pattern and would have matched the tutu perfectly. But these striped tights include some metallic stripes, and Mallory was digging the sparkle. At the party, the girls wore tiaras and butterfly wings as they ate pink sandwiches... (Love the feather boa one of the girls wore!)
They decorated sugar cookies... you KNOW Mallory loves that... And this is one of my favourite shots - Mallory and Meghan picking their way through the present landmine after the gifts were opened.

As for Liam, he and Chad went to A&W for a Teen Burger and then a Birds of Prey show they had running at the mall. So the boys had a nice day out of their own.

(Passed out in the car on the way home, Fancy Nancy doll firmly in her grasp.)

The weekend did not go exactly as planned, since the extreme weather conditions led to me being called into the office early Sunday morning. I guess I am making up for it today though, because right now I am home with Mallory, who has a temperature of 100.2F. Yes, I am technically working and have a pile to get through that won't allow for much slacking; but it's awfully nice to be able to do it in my loungewear, with Mallory cuddled up on the couch next to me.

0 comments: