Friday, May 13, 2011

Looking like she well remembers her time as a flower girl

Today, as we passed a yarn display in a store, this one asked me if we could buy some so she can learn how to knit. I have not knitted anything since I was pregnant with Liam (a hat that he never did end up wearing) so I asked her where she learned about knitting. She said it was from the PBS cartoon 'Arthur', which Cindy sometimes lets the kids watch while she makes lunch. I let Mallory down gently and told her she is probably too young to learn how to knit right now. What I really wanted to say was, I don't have time. I don't have time to do most of the things I want to do. Right now I have photo shoots with the kid planned but unshot, a sewing project unfinished a year later, half a dozen books and movies to make my way through. Trying to find more time for triathlon with the season almost underway. Gardening that is so far all in my head. Wanting to at least have some time at the end of each day to catch up with Chad.

It's been a tough few weeks at work, the kind of time when you go to work, work, come home from work, think about work, keep getting after-hours emails about work, work some more when the kids go to bed, and then do it all again the next day. I don't think my lack of downtime has been this bad before but the effects are clearly showing.

Thankfully, I only have one more week of work and then I'm out of the office for a bit... still officially 'working', but offsite. I am looking forward to the mental clarity that it will bring. The timing seems perfect.

I know I will have a chance to teach Mallory how to knit someday... and of course, I'm tickled that she asked. Knitting is not so much my thing but it's in the artsy/craftsy vein, and I am plenty happy about that.

(Blogger unpublished and then republished a bunch of posts due to a technical glitch this week... and it erased all the comments. Just an FYI. I didn't zap them myself!)

0 comments: