Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The frog story

Back when Chad and I were young and cool and spent our disposable income on fun things like trips around the world rather than responsible things like lump-sum mortgage payments, we went to Peru. As part of our trip we spent a week in the Amazon staying at a couple of different jungle lodges. The first night at our first lodge, where we were staying in individual thatched-roof bungalows with cold running water and electricity only supplied at certain times of day by generators, things started to go bump in the night once the sun went down. Chad and I were both a wee bit sick that day, and making multiple trips back and forth to the bathroom; imagine our horror when opening the toilet lid in the middle of the night led to a flurry of bright green and orange frogs hopping out and running amok around our cabin. I mean, do you really want to be sitting on something like that and leaving yourself, um, exposed?

When the sun finally came up after a loooooong night, we went to the administrative building to ask if it was common to be swarmed by frogs swimming through the sewer system like that. (Probably it was; I don’t think this was an enclosed sewer system like we have at home – I wouldn’t have been surprised if the drain on our toilet was piped right out into the Amazon itself.) They sent a maintenance person back to our cabin with us to check things out. The maintenance guy’s solution to the problem? He started stomping on the frogs and squashing them to death. I think that part was even worse than having them in there in the first place. I mean, frogs have skeletons. The sound of their little bones cracking totally gave me the heebie-jeebies.

There is really no point to this story, except that in some way when we saw this costume we had to have it for Liam because it reminded us of some fun (???) times. By last night Liam was cool with wearing the costume, hood included. He loved handing out to the kids coming to our door. After dark, we took him over to Daylene’s to see her huge Halloween display. The streets were swarmed with kids in costume and everyone was eating candy. He totally had a look on his face that said, Now that I know what goes on after I normally go to bed… I am never sleeping again!!

(Pardon the white neck thing in this photo... yes, I know it came untucked.)

1 comments:

Dawn said...

I want to see those lovely tights! Need a full length shot! you guys looked GREAT!