Wednesday, November 28, 2007

By request

The sugar cookies that defy logic... they are soooo good!

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Cream the butter and sugar, and add the eggs and vanilla. Sift the dry ingredients together and add alternately with the milk. There you go... easy peasey! Roll out 'thin' (this came from a Mennonite cookbook, hence the vagueness... I don't like them too thin, I am about a 3/8" girl myself), cut into shapes and bake at 350F for 10 minutes. They won't brown at all, but they do puff up, so it's better to use chunky cookie cutters rather than fussy ones. We iced them with a very scientific recipe of a spoonful of butter (maybe a tablespoon?), about 2 cups of icing sugar and enough milk to make it the consistency of peanut butter. Sprinkly liberally with coloured sanding sugar and presto - you're done. Somehow these get even better with age, but our batch is nearly gone already, so I'll have to make more and let them sit to get the full effect. Easier said than done!

I have spent the past few years making various batches of sugar cookies from Martha Stewart, from Epicurious, from Allrecipes... and none have come close to this recipe. So happy to have them just the way I like them again. :) Even Chad has been devouring them and he's not normally one for cookies that don't somehow involve chocolate!

Today Liam is away with Gramma and Grampa (where he is hopefully still using the toilet like a champ!)... Mallory and I are in a festive mood and spent the morning wrapping up the majority of our Christmas shopping. She's down for a nap now and I am trying to decide between starting the wrapping, catching up on some scrapbooking or making some progress on the advent calendar I've sworn I'm going to get up and running this year. Only three days left to get it done!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks sweetie! Looking forward to trying a new recipe!

Anonymous said...

Liam, did fine. No accidents.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I've been wanted to make a batch of these and didn't know where to find a tested recipe.
Thanks!