Monday, February 25, 2008

Spot the trend

Not long ago, I was waxing on about Liam's love for all things crafty. He likes colouring, he likes Play Doh and plasticine, he likes watercolour paints... but there is one thing he likes more than any other. He has, I swear, a fetish for pom poms. It started out innocently enough... I bought a bag of them at the dollar store, and when he said he wanted to use them for something, I cut a heart out of construction paper for him and set him up with the pom poms and a bottle of glue. This was the result. He loved it.A few days later, he wanted to make another craft. Lacking any originality, I cut an Easter egg out of construction paper (YES, that is what that is!), gave him some glue and the pom poms, and let him rip.The next time he was in the mood to create, he didn't even ask - just got to work himself. He tells me that this is his 'ornament'.This is another ornament he made the next day. ("Are you sure it's not the inverted state of Oklahoma?" I said. "It's an ornament," he repeated....) Sadly, it used up the remains of the pom poms, so when he was done with the glue, Liam added some fringe with his scissors.We are now out of pom poms, and I haven't had a chance to restock the pom pom jar. (Are pom poms recyclable? I'm half thinking I should pull them all off the paper before his projects go in the blue box, and hey, maybe I can even restock the jar with them!) We still have some other craft goodies Liam hasn't seen yet, and we'll break those out first. Some popsicle sticks, some buttons, and lately Liam is loving sticker books, too - the ones that have the pages with backgrounds and the stickers that can be repositioned to make different little scenes. I have a feeling the Easter Bunny may be bringing some craft supplies in a few weeks' time so we're not too overloaded with chocolate.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liam - you must get your artistic ability from your Mom. You do nice art work