Friday, April 03, 2009

Merry belated Christmas to me

Last night's concert had its ups and downs.

Up: It was Chantal.
Down: Of the four times (?) we've seen her, this one was definitely the worst. In her defense, she was sick, but she still sounded great. She didn't have to rush through the show like that.
Up: She played some stuff I like, like Feels Like Home, and Time, and Wonderful.
Down: She didn't play some stuff I like, like Far Away, and Before You, and Imaginary Friend. And Redemption Song. And Weight of the World.
Up: She played some new stuff and it was quite catchy.
Down: This was the best photo of the night. I am all embarrassed to have my camera out in public most of the time. Beforehand I always give myself a pep talk and tell myself to work it and own it and who cares. That I'm working on a year-long photography project that is pretty cool and that justifies it. Then the time comes, I get embarrassed, feel like a stalker, and I snap a shot as fast as possible like this just so I'll have a photo to mark April 2 - never mind the composition or the fact that she has droopy eyelids or whatever. If I'd only waited a few seconds for a better moment, it could have been, well, better.

I need a longer lens. Then I could pass for, I don't know, someone from the media who looks like they have the right to be taking pictures. Not a twelve year old girl snapping shots on her iPhone to text her friends.

I think the last time I had a camera at a concert, I was fourteen, and it was Depeche Mode. I don't think I ever took a camera to a concert in my twenties or thirties up until now.

I'm regressing.

It's someone's birthday today... cake to come tonight.

0 comments: