Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Vertical again

Our family is on the mend and we are (almost) back to normal today: Chad and I at the office, Liam at Cindy’s house. Liam spent yesterday with Cindy as well, and it was kind of odd, having the two of us home all day without him there; had I been in a better state, I would have loved to take advantage of it and get a few things done. As it was, the day was devoted to regaining some strength and putting our lives back in order. The place was pretty much trashed on Monday night, and Liam was upset because neither one of us was in any state to play with him, and he didn’t quite know why. We made up for that when he got to eat whatever he wanted for dinner (the details of which I can’t remember now – I was averting my eyes from food at all costs), and went to bed without brushing his teeth. These are the survival mechanisms to which we stoop when we feel like death.

My return to the office will be mercifully short-lived: my last day of work is one week from today. Woot! I am definitely counting it down. It has only recently started to sink in why this next week is my last, and why I should be excited; it’s just easier to think about it in terms of wanting out of the project I feel like I have been working on forever, getting to spend some quality time with Liam, etc. Then there are a few other ugly reasons starting to rear their heads. Like, last week I actually went to work one day with my pants on backwards, and didn’t notice until the day was almost half over. Not good. There is also someone in my office that has started commenting on how big I am every time she sees me, which does nothing for the self esteem, you know?

Of course, some of the unpleasantness will continue even after my LOA has begun. I have started to have a few aches and pains that I never had with Liam. Partly this is my fault for not being in good shape anymore, and partly I think that with each kid you have, you just get a little more beat up. Have you heard about that Duggar family in the US, the one that is constantly featured on shows on TLC? They have 16 kids and just announced this week that #17 is on the way. I cannot even imagine how that woman walks around without her insides falling out.

Nonetheless, it was with a very happy state of mind that I called human resources this morning to ensure that all the paperwork is in order for my personnel file to be updated next week. Going on EI isn’t supposed to be such a happy proposition, is it?

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Glad you are on the mend! I am totally loving Liam's new digs! You need to post more, it looks awesome! LOVE his rug!! And you know me with my blue issues lately, what color are his walls, liking the blue a lot on my monitor!

Carrie said...

The paint is by Benjamin Moore - I think the walls are Ice Sculpture? (Need to find the can to confirm.) They turned out a little bluer than we would have liked. If I were to do it over again, I would pick the next lightest shade on the chip. But that's up against a darker blue trim; if you're using brown, it might be perfect. :)

Dawn said...

How about BLUE ICE?? I found that one on their site, I swear I am nutty about this blue!!!!!

Carrie said...

Nope, I checked it out and it's definitely Ice Sculpture. The trim is Mariner's Tale, if that helps you gauge how 'off' the colour might be since you're seeing it on a monitor. I wonder if the colours are different in the US as compared to Canada?