Thursday, January 22, 2009

What Wednesday was like

So... you know I have to ask... what was the consensus on Lost last night? I think I enjoyed the "Destiny Calls" recap show more than the season premiere. Following the Losties on the island through all the jumps seems more tiring than thrilling, but my goodness - Desmond going back to Oxford? Cool. Ben having rounded up the Oceanic 6 so quickly? Awesome. I'm definitely looking forward to the season ahead!

In addition to the excitement of Lost returning on Wednesday nights, we are still busy with Liam's skating lessons. We have been lucky to have some very generous grandparents involved who have had us over for dinner nearly every Wednesday night since skating season began. It's made it that much easier to make it to the rink for Liam's 6 p.m. ice time. I do not think we will make the mistake of registering him for such an early activity again; it's been pretty brutal trying to make it on time. I leave work at 4:30 on the dot (which is difficult). I rush to pick the kids up from Cindy's, rush over to gramma and grampa's, we inhale our food which is always ready for us, then rush out the door and back across town to skating.

Last week was the first week I can remember that we tried this on our own without going to gramma and grampa's for dinner first. I didn't get out of work on time and so I made the call to avoid the stop at home and just go to McDonald's for something to eat before hustling over to the rink. Liam and Mallory loved this, but I hardly want it to become a weekly habit.

This week, I thought I had it all planned out. I deliberately rescheduled a late-in-the-day meeting so I could leave at 4:30, and figured I could whip up some grilled cheese for dinner in fairly short order. Got out of work on time, picked up the kids, hauled them home (we live further away from the rink than gramma and grampa do) and walked in the door to see Chad already started in on the grilled cheese. Which was wonderful... except that on the drive home from Cindy's house, Liam informed me that they had grilled cheese there for lunch. And I have a pretty strict no-repeating-lunch-for-dinner rule. (Mallory also started crying in the car when she realized she was not going to get to go to Gramma and Grampa's.)

We heated up a can of soup for the kids while Chad and I ate the grilled cheese, then Chad ran out the door with Liam to get him to the rink while I finished up with Mal. Chad is now playing pick-up soccer on Wednesday nights, just to jam the schedule a little more - so then I had to hustle Mallory over to the rink midway through Liam's lesson to relieve Chad and bring Liam home. Poor little Mallory had just put a new movie into the DVD player at home and was so sad to be torn away from it to go get Liam. I promised her she could watch it once we got home, and I even made her some popcorn to go with it. After the disappointment of not seeing Gramma and Grampa and the indignity of being carpooled around, I think she deserved it.

Then we put the kids to bed, and flaked out on the couch for three blissful hours watching Lost. Thank goodness it's back on. It's just what I need to unwind on Wednesday nights.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness, I thought it was hectic coming to our place but after reading this, I quess not.
Please come back on Wednesdays as long as skating is on.