Sunday, August 01, 2010

Algonquin Park 2010 - Part 2

After last year's family vacation, we put together a highlight reel that was (a) a ton of fun to create, (b) something I myself have watched countless times since then and (c) something the kids quite often ask to see, too. Given the huge success of that little home movie, there was no question that we would make another for this year's trip.

Several months ago, in anticipation, we began debating the choice of soundtrack. Chad suggested The Talking Heads' "Wild Wild Life" right off the bat. I thought something slower and more peaceful was more apropos. I downloaded "Bobcaygeon" by The Tragically Hip, "Watching the Northern Lights" by Barenaked Ladies, and also considered "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root. I thought they were all more suitable.

Chad was right, damn him. By the time we got home and waded through the footage and photos, it became evident that the highlights of this trip included lots of activity, rather than idyllic hours spent in repose. We have spent the days since we came home burning the midnight oil to condense clips, edit photos, work out the timing and sequence it all logically. With projects like this I find that I have to strike while the iron is hot. I am all full steam ahead for the first few days after we return, and then I lose the motivation. There are still a few pages from my 2003 Tanzania scrapbook unfinished.

Anyway, without further ado - I present The 2010 Highlight Reel. PS - I have no idea where Mallory learned to dance like that, but it sure as heck wasn't from me.

Cook Family Vacation - Algonquin Park 2010 from carriecook on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

that was awesome! Simply awesome!! Great job!! Could have passed on the snake pic, but......

Ainsley said...

As always, your photos and video are fabulous! I really love how to capture all the fun and excitement of your family adventures. It's really special that you're able to share it with the rest of us.

I've never heard of fishing for chipmunks before... but I think that was probably the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Carrie said...

(Sorry Ainsley - I am just seeing your comment now.)

I just wanted to reassure anyone who may be wondering... there was no hook involved in the chipmunk-fishing. You just tie the peanut to the line, and the chipmunks refuse to let go of it once they get it in their grasp! We did a search for 'Algonquin' on YouTube before leaving home and found many pages of chipmunk-fishing videos there. Mallory laughed her head off and there was no question then that we would have to try it, too!