Monday, August 16, 2010

Lucky that she's cute

I had a few things planned for today, but many of them went out the window when Mallory came into our room shortly before 3 a.m. "I'm wet!" she wailed. Sure enough, she had soaked her bed. We changed out her sheets, pillowcases, pajamas and a few stuffed animals to boot. And then... she was wide awake. She didn't want to go back to sleep. All told, she was up until shortly after 5 a.m., and there was nothing I could do to get her back to bed - not lying in her bed with her, not cuddling her in the rocking chair, and not finally caving in and letting her come into our bed with us. (She just tossed and turned for an hour.) My alarm was initially set for 5:30 but there was no way, when she finally did doze off, that I was going to be up for the day at 3 a.m. So I slept in.

As aggravating as this was, and as dog-tired as I was all day, it all melted away when she pulled out the cute stops tonight. I had to pick something up at the post office and asked if anyone wanted to go with me. She was playing with her baby doll at the time. Always my little errand-running helper, she immediately jumped up and told me that she would come with me. However, there was one condition. She went and found Chad and asked him if he would baby-sit her doll, and she gave him specific instructions on how to deal with the baby. (If she bit or scratched Chad, he was to call Mallory on the phone; but if she was good then she could stay up until we got home.) When we came home, Chad and Liam were outside, and Chad got a pouty earful from Mallory for having abandoned the baby in the house.

0 comments: