Thursday, March 31, 2005

The countdown accelerates

So yesterday I went for my weekly visit to Dr. Bailey’s. I was hoping for some sort of progress. And was therefore disappointed to find out that I was dilated to a big fat 0, same as last week. I am really hoping to get some of the work of labour/delivery out of the way before we actually make the trip to the hospital.

I nearly fell off the table in shock, then, when the very next words out of her mouth were, “There is no way you will hang onto this baby until the 16th.” Come again?? I thought the whole point of not being dilated at all is that there is nothing happening. Well, according to her, the baby has dropped even lower this week as compared to last, and she thinks it will be coming early rather than late. She asked me to change my appointment for next week from Wednesday to Friday since she’s out of town on the former and wants to see me herself.

On my way out of the office, she was talking to the receptionist to rebook my appointment, and the receptionist was asking about the following week’s appointment (currently scheduled for the 13th) – should she rebook that one as well? And Dr. Bailey said no – she’ll still come in, but she’ll probably be bringing the baby with her.

HOLY CRAP.

I knew this point would come sooner or later, when it would be ‘any day now’, but I still didn’t really expect it to be until after the 16th. Not really. Everyone knows you always go overdue with your first, right??

It was particularly ironic because Daylene was just saying (right before I left for the appointment) that she thought the baby would come the weekend of the 9th or 10th – and then Dr. Bailey reiterated that – she thinks I will make it through this weekend, but have the baby next.

So there you have it. I am now working with the idea that I have ONE WEEK LEFT. It’s not like I’ve got a lot of stuff to do during that week to get ready… just enjoy myself and get ready to abandon my selfish, irresponsible ways, I guess!... but still, it seems like too far away and way too soon, all at once.

(Now watch. Now that I’ve been told this, I will hang onto the baby into the last week of April.)

0 comments: