Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Causing a fuss

So, what we didn't want to have happen, but which I suppose was inevitable, is happening - people are causing a fuss. I am so grateful that we have good friends and family supporting us. I'm glad that they're happy and excited for us. But, it's a little weird being the centre of attention. And I feel even worse when I think about all the effort they have gone to!

This is my last week of work. My department is taking me out to lunch on Friday, which is really nice of them. And because I worked in Storage for so long prior to coming here, they invited Storage to go as well. And with Storage and CM going, you can't very well not invite CP, since the three areas all report into the same manager - so CP is coming, too. Which means it will be a large group. I feel spoiled.

And then Cheryl asked me to lunch today, because she won't be here Friday - so there I am, being spoiled again.

And then the email invite circulates around the office for cake & coffee on Friday morning, also baby-related. Except that - this was arranged unbeknownst to me - and my usual Wednesday afternoon check-in with Dr. Bailey has been shifted to Friday morning this week, since she is out of town today. So the cake will be there, but I won't. When I found out about it (which I don't even think I was supposed to - it just so happens that I'm still on an old Storage distribution list and saw the email that way), I called the doctor's office to try to change, but they refused. So I had to tell Paula that I won't be here for my own cake. She had already sent all the emails and posted the flyers in the elevators and EVERYTHING. Finally it was decided to move the cake to Friday afternoon (so I hope people have room in their stomachs after coming back from lunch!) It's bad enough to cause so much fuss once, let alone having to rearrange things!

Thank you so much to everyone at work for doing all of this for us. Talk about going out with a bang. Is this some sort of bribery to get me to come back early? :)

0 comments: