Saturday, September 02, 2006

Toronto Zoo

Since everyone else seems to be giving zoo recaps on their blogs lately, I will jump in with my own. One of our stops on last week's rambling across Ontario was at the Toronto Zoo. Liam is an animal lover, the weather was great and we had heard good things about the splash pad there - seemed like the perfect formula for success. We headed out early in the morning and it's a good thing we did. I have not been to the Toronto Zoo since the sixth grade, but Chad and I went to the Detroit Zoo a couple of years ago, and I always had the impression that Detroit was inferior to Toronto. Not the case. Toronto is a perfectly good zoo, but it is massive. Spread out in a way that defies explanation, and that's saying a lot, given that Chad and I actually enjoy walking a few miles when we are out and about. Also, many of the exhibits have just a single animal in them. Shouldn't they at least be in pairs? And, despite the fact that Torontonians rave about the splash pad at the zoo, it is completely inferior to the splash pad at Storybook Gardens in London. Plus, the monorail is gone, and you can no longer buy a massive white spiral sucker with the green Zoo logo on it - my all-time favourite Zoo souvenir. Those were my gripes - but there were also high points to our day. The aforementioned Beaver Tails were a welcome surprise. We arrived at the polar bear exhibit just in time to watch the feeding (though Liam preferred to loudly inform the crowd that there were toy balls floating around in the pool, rather than focusing on the fish being tossed the bears' way). And Liam loves a splash pad - have water, will have fun. The Africa exhibit is definitely the best part of the zoo but I took almost no pictures - I have hundreds of photos of lions and zebras in the wild, thanks to our travels, so to take photos of the same animals behind a fence seemed kind of silly. I did pull out the camera once - you'll have to take my word for it that those are elephants behind Liam's head.

1 comments:

megan said...

I warned you! Are those manpris?