Thursday, February 26, 2009

How to celebrate Chad's 35th(!)

Liam came home from skating last night with a letter to the parents that says the Figure Skating Club is putting on a 2-1/2 hour season finale show on April 3rd (which happens to be Chad's birthday)... is your son/daughter participating, yes/no?

On the one hand, Liam enjoys skating and I don't want to deny him any part of the experience. On the other hand, Liam skates at a snail's pace, as do most of the kids in his class, and it's really not reasonable to expect them to contribute them to the skating show in any meaningful way. And 2-1/2 hours... are you kidding me? I was thinking maybe they could give us the ten-minute time slot during which he might actually be on the ice and we would just show up for that, though I'm sure that's not how it works - I am sure there are rehearsals and getting the kids queued up and blah, blah, blah to worry about.

Given that it's Chad's birthday, I was kind of thinking we would be spending that night getting someone to watch the kids and I would be taking him out to a new BBQ joint in town to celebrate. Or maybe we'll be freezing our buns off for 2-1/2 hours at the rink. It could go either way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liam will never know the difference.
We will watch the kids if you deceide to go out.

SC said...

I figured skated when I was younger and I remember these 'shows' in front of all the parents and grandparents... it was 'okay' - but I will say that the little kids that participate are usually pretty cute... these usually do their CANSKATE drills to some music and dress up if there is a theme involved.

I was a cabbage patch kid... along with 10 others, including 2 boys, and I swear to this day those two guys (who are now 30) have not lived down the fact that they were in that show with us! LOL!

I am sure Liam wouldn't mind being spared the life long embarrassment if you decide to check NO on the little note!!

Rose said...

I think the birthday guy should decide. ;)

Either way, I hope it's a fun night.