Friday, February 20, 2009

Oops! ...I did it again. (Subtitle: Don't let me try anything new, like, ever again.)

Here's another little project I started last weekend and got *almost* finished last night. I have been saving my very favourite old baby clothes for years now, and always intended to make a memory quilt from them. Or have the quilt made for me - I was none too confident in my own abilities. Well, having finished Mallory's quilt gave me the confidence I needed to start cutting up her cute little old things. I decided to make a coin quilt from them since it wouldn't require large pieces of fabric (her newborn things are so small!) I also think it's a contemporary design, which I quite like. Anyway, I cut the pieces from her clothes and did some judicious editing. First, this quilt is made entirely of knit fabrics, like onesies. (I still have all my favourite wovens - little dresses and the like - stashed in a basket in my craft cupboard; I am almost certain to make something with them, too.) Secondly, I got rid of a few pieces. The little turquoise paisley jumper was one of my favourite outfits on her, but the turquoise just stuck out like a sore thumb among all the pinks and purples. So it hit the cutting room floor, too. I am sure that some of you who gave us baby clothes to use will recognize some of the pieces in this quilt - there are a lot of Sydney's hand-me-downs, for one thing. But Mallory wore those clothes a ton, and when I see them now it totally reminds me of her when she was so small. So I hope you don't mind that I chopped your donations up and threw the scraps away. :P

This quilt is small, just a little crib-sized version, which - given that we gave away our crib a few weeks ago - is ironic. But it's not really meant to be used for anything; it's just a keepsake. It is far from flawless, but I'm still happy with how it's going. I just need to bind it now (a process I am hoping takes less than two weeks like the last quilt - that's the advantage of crib-sized, I guess!) I would like to find a pink and white ticking stripe to do the binding. No luck so far, so I may sit on it a while before I get that done.

In the meantime, I have a few other projects I can get started on if I'm looking for something to do this weekend. Here's a hint for one of them:

Well, crap, I just accidentally deleted the photo. But it was of a pile of blue baby clothes. I'm sure you see where this was heading.

2 comments:

Rose said...

You're on a roll!

I've got several items saved with similar intentions. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished quilt!

Dawn said...

looks adorable....can you tell me why it's called a coin quilt, wikipeida-ed it and googled, but not much out there!