Thursday, July 02, 2009

It doesn't take much

Well, FRICK. I just had a whole post typed out and it disappeared. Whatever happened to the nifty autosave function? Damn damn damn!!A couple of days ago, when I was home with the kids, we were all starting to feel a little cabin fever-ish. I had already run through my list of super fun activities that I had planned. We had gone to Mitchell's Bay and played outside and watched movies and picked strawberries and visited the library... and I was out of ideas. It was a gloomy day. We needed to find something indoors to do. I took them for their pre-wedding haircuts. (Mallory did not like this one little bit. There was no screaming or squirming involved, but she sat in the chair with big tears in her eyes and a quavery lip the entire time. "Will you help me get my hair cut, Mommy?" she kept asking. I held her hand and the stylist only took off the smallest amount, but there was no consoling her until she was out of the chair.)
We stopped by the pet store and the grocery store on our way home. I fixed the kids lunch, and it was while she was eating at the kitchen counter that Mallory saw it: a puddle from that morning's rain, out on the path. "Maybe we can go splash in that puddle," she said.
When they finished eating, they raced for their boots. I told them the puddle was so small that their Crocs would have been OK but they would not hear of it: boots on. They meant business.
And then we went outside, and they entertained themselves for a good hour, jumping in that little puddle. It is amazing how easy it is sometimes to make them happy.
And yes, we did make it back downtown to the parade yesterday - the car battery seems to be back in working order. Here we are, munching on a bag of Kettle Corn and watching the local Tae Kwon Do school march by. Life doesn't get much better than that.

0 comments: