Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The rest of the best

More party pictures! OK folks, here they are... hopefully not a disappointment after all the build-up. The birthday party was maybe more low-key than I have led you to believe; it was a small affair, family only, and all we did was have cake and ice cream and open presents. No clowns, or ponies, or magic tricks, though Liam did his best to keep the crowd entertained by walking laps with the hippo for most of the afternoon.

I have not made a cake since practically forever, so I was nervous about making one that company would be eating. In the end I chickened out of making something out of a cookbook and I went with a boxed mix. I figured they are pretty failproof and I was nervous enough about baking a cake in a bowl, which is how I made the monkey's head. This was no small feat; it took several consultations with Megan, who is a professionally-trained cake maker, to devise the plans for the cake. We discussed at length the various types of cake pans, baking a cake in a bowl versus baking it in pans, the tricks of the trade (who knew to wrap your cake pans in wet towels to help the cake turn out better? - not that I did that - I just sawed off the part that was cock-eyed before I iced it). She lent me all kinds of equipment and in the end all I used was a piping bag with a star tip. Sorry Megan, I chickened out!! In keeping with the party theme, the cake was served with Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream; and if anyone is hungry, they can come help themselves to the extra pint that's in the freezer right now; it's the last thing I need after all the junk I've eaten this weekend!Liam continues to be totally spoiled; among his birthday gifts were a shiny new wagon, a cool little jean jacket, some new books, and a bicycle helmet and a lifejacket to keep him safe this summer. I hear that we're also expecting a new toybox, hand crafted by Grampa Ralph. This thing has been in the works for the past year and we can't wait to see it. :P My biggest fear was that Liam wouldn't eat any cake, and I wouldn't get any adorable chocolate-covered face picture to mark his first birthday cake. It took him some time to warm up to the idea, but once Chad stuck his fingers into it and got him going - there was no stopping him. This grubby, happy little face melts my heart. Happy birthday, kiddo - you're one!!

1 comments:

megan said...

I don't know, that cake looks pretty good to me. Is there anything you can't do?