Monday, April 02, 2007

41 weeks and about to lose it

What could be worse than having an April Fool's Day baby? Well, how about having contractions on and off all day on April Fool's Day, but then having nothing to show for it?

Even though it's not how I want things to happen, I think I am going to agree to go the induction route if I make it to Wednesday's appointment and nothing is stirring. I am just so, so ready to be done with this, and I know Chad is, too. At least then we can get on with things. I hate the idea of all the additional risks and I am pretty much resigned to the fact that an induction likely means an epidural. I was hoping to avoid it, but let's face it - I am no superwoman.

I have done pretty much everything at this point as far as home remedies go. Wait, I guess there's still the castor oil - haven't tried that one - but it doesn't sound like something I want to pursue! I did wind up making an appointment for a massage tomorrow, and I plan to go in and ask my RMT to start pounding on all the pressure points she's been so carefully avoiding for the past nine months. I don't really think it will do anything, but it can't hurt to try, right? I am also starting to work up the courage for another membrane strip on Wednesday. I know it's going to hurt, but faced with the choice of the strip or the pitocin - I think the strip is the lesser of two evils.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Carrie- both Sydney & Jason had to be induced. Sydney's delivery was a breeze- drip started at 11am & she was born at 5pm. Jason's delivery was not a breeze, but did not have anything to do with the induction. For both deliveries, I felt the contractions. If you do have an epidural, it does not necessarily need to be "topped" up to alleviate all your pain.
I know that it is not how you wanted things to work out, but holding that beautiful little girl in your arms is the goal right now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

Try a spicy tomato sauce pasta to induce labour.

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Stay away from the castor oil. The contractions it brings on start in your BOWEL and the last thing you want is to be dealing with labor and diarrhea. I know several women who have made themselves very sick.

I had pitocin and did not have the epidural, so it's not a guarantee. They didn't have to give me a lot, which helped. Just wanted to let you know there are pain relief techniques (and medication) other than the epidural if you're really wanting to aviod that.

Anonymous said...

What, no official 'week 41' photo??
;)

Carrie said...

Definitely no 41 week photo. I am SO not in the mood to do another photo!!

Anonymous said...

Wow this picture is so perfect, it looks like you took it out of a magazine!