Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The divine Miss M

We’re into our second week with Mallory home, and all is going well so far. She’s a voracious eater and was back up to the 8-pound mark last Friday. In fact, her first few days home were a little too voracious; she was up every hour on the hour to eat. I can’t remember Liam doing this, though of course maybe I’ve just forgotten it all. Regardless, she’s now settled into a twice-a-night feeding schedule that suits me much better. The only problem with that is that the second feeding comes at 5 a.m. and as often as not, Liam wakes up while I’m feeding Mallory and then we’re all up for the day. He’s down now for an early (and probably lengthy) nap as a result, but it would be better if we could all just (go back to) sleep until Chad needs to get up for work.

She’s also a surprisingly even-tempered kiddo so far; my fears about having a firecracker for a daughter are so far unfounded. She doesn’t really cry unless she’s hungry. We thought Liam was a good baby, but we think even he was fussier than this. I know the fussing doesn’t peak for another month so maybe we’re still in for a rough time, but so far so good.

Liam is doing a great job of adjusting to Life As Big Brother. He likes to pet her hair and comment on her tiny hands. He is also my number one diapering assistant. He gets upset if I change her diaper without him; his job is to stand on his stool beside me and open the box of wipes and tub of Vaseline. Other than that, he still pretty much does his own thing, only growing alarmed if we’ve put her down and he doesn’t know where she is. Awwww!

We are halfway into the cloth diapers; they’re working out well so far, but in the middle of the night (when I sometimes go through four diapers at a time because she won’t stop pooping the minute I get her into a clean one) the disposables just seem a lot easier. It’s enough keeping up with the regular baby laundry because of this, let alone worrying about a daily load of diapers!

I have a hundred and one photos I want to take before Mallory outgrows her newborn-ness too much, but for today the nap is going to win out. She’s having one, Liam’s having one, and I’m on my way for one now, too.

1 comments:

megan said...

Sooooo sweet!