Monday, October 16, 2006

Another one bites the dust

Now that we are back to a solid 5-day workweek, with no more stats and a dearth of vacation time until Christmas, our 2-day weekends have become that much more precious. Once again this one was a flurry of activity. Chad and I headed out on Friday night, leaving the L-man home with Gramma and Grampa to deal with the after-effects of a lot of sugar in a small body. The remainder of the weekend was filled with various chores. Last weekend we started getting Liam’s new room ready to turn over to him, by relocating the computer from it to the family room in the basement. This weekend Chad continued with that, emptying out the bookcase that has accumulated several years’ worth of crap (not the least of which is a large number of textbooks left over from our school days, texts on such interesting topics as thermodynamics and colloid & surface chemistry and tax law – any takers??) and relocating the bookshelf to the furnace room, where hopefully it will help to get some other assorted tools and crap off the floor. Liam’s new bedroom is currently a disaster zone, but we’re slowly making progress on it and it’s getting easier to picture what it will become. We have not yet ordered the bunk beds, but I did take advantage of an upcoming trip to Detroit to make a few purchases for it. I finally chose this bedding (the link will have to do);

…which I was able to get from Pottery Barn Kids for $119 US for the quilt and I think $14 each for the shams, and have shipped to the hotel where we will be staying (needed a US shipping address in order to be able to do that). The same bedding at Pottery Barn Kids in Toronto is $249 CDN for the quilt plus a 10% higher tax rate… not even close to comparable. On a related note, Pottery Barn then tried processing the transaction on my credit card 4 times, prompting a call to the house from the Visa fraud line… but I think we have things cleared up now. While I was at it, I also went to the Nods & Ends outlet for some coordinating sheets...

…regular $119 US, currently quite a bargain at the marked down price of $35 for the set. Now if only that David print would be re-stocked at Art.com! We also need to find a rug in order to complete the room, which is a tall order… kids’ rugs are hard to find and given that a good one will probably cost a few hundred dollars, I don’t want something too kiddie that Liam will outgrow in short order. Ah yes, and then there are the window blinds. I’m not sure if I feel up to the task of sewing them myself or if we’ll be looking for something ready-made.

(Chad figured out that our night in Detroit will coincide with Game 6 of the World Series… which means that if Detroit loses the series in 6 games, our car will likely be set on fire… and if Detroit wins in 6 games, well, it is probably just as likely to be car-B-Q’d!)

In addition to the chores around the house this weekend, I had to put together a proposal for the research project component of my marketing class, which I am headed to Windsor tonight to attend… ick. And that’s only AFTER I go pick Liam up early from Cindy’s so I can take him for his 18-month shots. Ugh. What a way to spend a Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be hatin' on the D!! Two celebrations so far and not a sniff of trouble. Now if we were talking about Edmonton....

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt and sheets.